Being Energy Savvy
Five simple tips to help families save electricity – and money:
- Look for the label: The EPA’s ENERGY STAR label quickly identifies energy-efficient appliances and electronics.
- Automate it: Automated technology to control electricity and air conditioning can translate into big savings. Start with a programmable thermostat.
- Get the facts: Most people don’t like to read their owners’ manuals, but manuals are full of energy saving ideas. Read your manual to ensure you are taking full advantage of all the energy-conservation capabilities available with your electronic devices.
- Unplug it: Many electronic devices, such as televisions, DVD players, stereos, computers, and cell phone battery chargers, continue to draw a small amount of power even when turned off or not in use. Unplug them, versus only turning them off.
- Centralize it: Make it easy to turn off electronics when they are not in use by plugging them into power strips. Power strips make it easy to turn off multiple electronics all at once.